Philip Patterson, President and CEO
As president and CEO of Owensboro Health, Philip Patterson works with the Board of Directors and other members of the executive team to provide leadership and vision for the organization. Patterson stays abreast of developments and trends, both national and local, to make sure Owensboro Health is ready to meet the current and future health care needs of the region.
Priorities for Owensboro Health
- Increasing access to care
- Planning for the future
- Building trust in the community
- Positive relationships with employees and physicians
During his career in health care administration, Patterson has earned a reputation as a visionary executive with an ability to inspire others. His leadership philosophy emphasizes:
- A shared organizational vision
- Open communication
- Exemplary performance
Patterson is known for spending time away from his desk, visiting with employees and physicians at every opportunity.
Patterson believes a health system should not only treat illnesses, but work to prevent them in the first place. He says operating with efficiency and values are the keys to a great organization.
Bon Secours Charity Health System, 2009-2013
Chief Executive Officer
In 2009, Patterson became CEO of Bon Secours Charity Health System, a three hospital system with net patient revenue of nearly $500 million.
The three hospitals (611 beds) are Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY with 156 beds; Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY with 377 beds; and St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY with 78 beds.
- $24 million improvement in revenue cycle
- Implemented major operational improvement initiatives
- Created new partnerships and expanded residencies
Allina - Mercy Hospital
Allina Hospitals & Clinics - Mercy Hospital, 2006-2009
Vice President, Operations/COO
In 2006, Patterson became VP of Operations at Mercy Hospital, an affiliate of Allina Hospitals & Clinics in Minneapolis. Mercy is a 280-bed hospital with $325 million in net operating revenues.
- Dedicated Heart Hospital in 2004. Hospital later performed 5,700 cath lab procedures and 400 open-heart surgeries in one year.
- Led a $5.7 million expansion of the Ambulatory Care Unit
- Led an $8 million expansion of Women's/Children's services
Allina - Mercy & Unity
Allina Hospitals & Clinics - Mercy & Unity Hospitals, 2003-2005
Vice President, Operations
In 2003, Patterson was tabbed to lead operations of a two-hospital campus system totaling 550+ acute and med/surg beds for the Minneapolis-based Allina system.
- Helped develop and execute the hospitals' quality plans
- Executive lead for strategic development
- Led a successful Epic implementation
• Married, father of two young daughters
• From Mobile, Alabama – near Gulf Shores
• Fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Auburn Tigers
• Enjoys fishing and camping
• Over 20 years in health care
• Worked in New York, Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta and Birmingham