Quality You Can Trust
Owensboro Health provides quality and experienced emergency care for all ages and for every medical condition. With 63,000 visits to our emergency room annually, we have the experience to make certain every patient receives the very best emergency care.
Excellence in Emergency Care
The Emergency Department is designated a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
Owensboro Health is also nationally recognized by HealthGrades, a leading health care rating firm and has received the following awards relating to Emergency Medicine and overall patient quality:
- Named among Top 5% in the Nation for Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medicine Excellence Award 2011, 2012
- Stroke Care Excellence Award™ 2012
- Owensboro Health is among top five percent of the nation’s hospitals for quality
Learn more about our HealthGrades quality ratings.
Facts & Figures
- Patients admitted to Top Hospitals for Emergency Medicine have a 40% lower death rate – Owensboro Health is distinguished among the top 5% in the nation as a Top Hospital for Emergency Medicine by HealthGrades.
- 63,000 visits a year
- Only 20 percent of patients arriving at the Owensboro Health Emergency Department are admitted to the hospital, while 80 percent are discharged after treatment
- Ninety-seven percent (97 percent) of patients who arrive for treatment at the ED receive the care they need at Owensboro Health, with only 3 percent needing transfer to another facility.
- Our “door to balloon" times are below national averages. (“Door to balloon” is the time it takes from a patient’s arrival in the ED until the heart attack is stopped with balloon angioplasty). Heart patients at Owensboro Health receive treatment in an average of just 61 minutes, compared to the 90-minute standard established by the American College of Cardiologists and the American Heart Association.
About our Emergency Department
- 33-bed facility
- Rapid Medical Evaluation™ (RME) program in the ED
- Adjacent radiology with 2 CT scanners
- Bedside ultrasound or radiology ultrasound 24/7
- Telemetry (head monitoring) available in all rooms
- Fast lab turn-around times
- Electronic Medical Records (EPIC) allowing for patient records to be shared across all urgent care, hospitals, clinics, and doctors’ offices within the Owensboro Health network.