What to Bring to the Hospital
To make your stay at the New Life Birthing Center as smooth and comfortable as possible, we suggest that you pack two bags:
- A lighter "goody" bag for easy transport to labor and delivery
- A postpartum bag, with change of clothes, for your mother/baby stay
We recommend that you bring just the "goody" bag with you to labor and delivery. Then, when you are moved to mother/baby, your coach can go to the car and retrieve your postpartum bag.
Here are some of the items you may consider packing.
Small bag for labor only
- Good support bra if you are breastfeeding
- Lip balm for dry lips
- Contact case
Hard contacts cannot be worn. Soft contacts are allowed except in the case of a cesarean delivery.
- Camera supplies
You are responsible for any valuables. Pictures of the actual delivery are not allowed, but photos before and after deliver are usually okay. Check with a nursery nurse after baby is born.
- Remove all jewelry prior to coming to the hospital including body-piercing jewelry.
- Extra pillows for labor for positioning and breastfeeding
- Hair pins or pony tail holders to pull your hair back
- A small paper fan in case you get hot. There is one electric fan on the unit if needed.
- Case for your glasses
- Socks, slippers and robe in case you need to walk around
- Focal points if you use them to help you relax
- Relaxation music and player (must keep up with it yourself) if you need it
- Coach needs to bring money for food
There is no food or drink allowed in labor department. Partners must leave to eat and/or drink. You will only get ice chips.
- Tooth brush and toothpaste
This may make you feel better, as you will be drinking nothing but ice chips!
- Good support bras or tight sports bra if you are bottle feeding
- Pajamas or gown for first days after delivery
For medical reasons, we will ask you to wear Owensboro Health gowns for some time after delivery.
- Going home clothes for you and your baby
Sleepers are best for baby. Maternity clothes are great for mom, especially when swelling occurs.
- Baby book if you want footprints
- Any special hygiene items you prefer: shampoo, soap, hair dryer, curling iron etc…