Vice President Medical Affairs
|Owensboro Health Administration
||Hours: 8a - 5p
- Responsible for cultivating and promoting alignment, engagement, and integration of the physician workforce and a culture committed to high performance.
- Focuses on communication and trust building to foster a mutually committed relationship between physicians and the organization resulting in the pursuit of organizational goals and physician career enrichment.
- The VP Medical Affairs will report to the System Chief Medical Officer.
- Partners with physician leaders to help lead the organization’s agendas for clinical quality and safety, patient experience, and cost of clinical care, including the development and implementation of policies and procedures; performance metrics, targets, and incentive systems; action plans for improvement; clinical pathways; coordination across the spectrum of care to outside organizations and providers; integration of quality, safety and efficiency into new models of care; researching internal and external best practices.
- Provides a medical/physician perspective and expertise in the development and implementation of corporate objectives.
- Participates in the Physician Retention program to include physician and hospital rounding.
- Assists Owensboro Health Regional Hospital in its recruiting efforts of quality providers including reference checks and attending meetings with candidates.
- Assists in the development and execution of the provider orientation program.
- Represents Owensboro Health Regional Hospital on the Clinical Leadership and Clinical Integration Steering Committees.
- Actively works with the Chief Medical Information Officer (C MIO) on protocols/care pathways/best practices that align with the clinical integration strategy.
- Participates in the Owensboro Health Peer Review process as determined by the peer review structure.
- Facilitates dispute resolution between providers as needed.
- Investigates and addresses breaches of quality patient care or ethical conduct by medical staff members and makes appropriate recommendations to the Chief Medical Officer (C MO).
- Develops and/or coordinates educational modules around key clinical topics as needed.
- Undertakes a regular review of clinical policies and procedures and coordinate updates as necessary.
- Facilitates discussions with providers on issues surrounding quality, variation, and performance improvement; including chart reviews to align practice patterns.
- Creates and maintains a work environment that is aligned with the organization’s goals and strategies, demonstrating a unified voice and consistent message from leadership; actively supports all organizational policies and procedures in communications and interactions with staff and peers. Communicates and implements change in a positive and effective manner.
- Adheres to all organizational policies and procedures. Executes all tasks and behaves in a manner consistent with a culture of safety and a high-reliability organization; behavior supports the organization's core commitments of Integrity, Service, Respect, Teamwork, Excellence, and Innovation.
- Doctorate degree in Medicine or Osteopathic Medicine required. Master's degree in Healthcare Administration preferred.
- Licensed to practice medicine in the state of Kentucky, together with all customary narcotics and controlled substance numbers and licenses as required by State and Federal Law. Board certified or eligible in the specialty as appropriate.
- 10 years progressive experience in a related field required.
- Ability to promote favorable medical group image to employed providers, independent providers, patients, payers, and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people in setting goals, giving appropriate support and holding employees accountable for projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team-oriented cooperative attitude.
- Demonstrated experience in consensus building.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of medical management practices.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and professional standards.
- Strong change management skills.
- Must demonstrate personal traits of a high level of motivation.
- Must place a high value on treating others with dignity and respect.
Skills & Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees.
- Specific duties and responsibilities consistent with the general nature and level of work described may vary by department and additional related duties may be assigned as needed. Some duties listed may not apply to all areas.