Nurse Extern Program
During your entire last year of studies in a registered nursing program, you may participate in Owensboro Health’s Nurse Extern Program. You’ll care directly for patients as you work alongside and learn from some of the area’s best nurses. Earn a paycheck while honing skills that will help you become a medical professional.
About The Program
During your externship, you may complete some of the following tasks under the direct supervision of Owensboro Health's licensed nursing staff.
- Application of heat and cold
- Central line dressing change
- Discontinuance of IV therapy
- Glucose monitoring
- Nasogastric Intubation and irrigation (lavage)
- Sterile dressing changes
- Suctioning (Nasotracheal, Nasopharyngeal, Tracheobronchial)
- Tracheostomy Care
- Urinary Catheterization (male and female)
Skills You May Not Perform
To help protect patients, only licensed medical professionals may perform certain tasks. As a nurse extern, you may not:
- Accept verbal orders
- Administer medications
- Substitute for licensed personnel
If you have a question about nursing recruitment at Owensboro Health please fill out the quick questionnaire below and we will be in contact with you soon!
Not seeing a form? We recommend using Chrome, Safari or FireFox browsers.