Stay Current On The Latest Vaccination Requirements
Do you have a child in school? Owensboro Health can help you make sure your children have all the vaccines they need for the school year!
All Kentucky students from kindergarten through grade 12 will be required to have two doses of the Hepatitis A vaccine. Students ages 16 and up will need to have two doses of the meningitis vaccine, which means some children may need a booster. Your pediatrician can advise you on what vaccinations or boosters are needed.
This new requirement will go into effect on July 1, 2018, but healthcare professionals recommend children be vaccinated in advance so families can avoid a last-minute rush.
If you are not sure if your child has had the correct vaccines or not, you can use MyChart to check.
What Is Hepatitis A?
- Disease type: Virus
- Spreads through: Contaminated food or water
- Symptoms: Flu-like, including fatigue, nausea, abdominal pain, low-grade fever and jaundice (yellowing of the whites of the eyes and the skin)
- Duration: One to two months
- Severity: Can sometimes be very serious and in rare cases can be fatal
What Is Meningitis?
- Disease type: Most commonly bacteria or virus
- Spreads through: Close contact (living with an infected individual), sneezing and coughing
- Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, altered mental status or confusion
- Duration: Highly variable
- Severity: Extremely dangerous, with high risk of death or permanent disabilities, including deafness or brain damage
About The Vaccines
The Hepatitis A and meningitis vaccines have been in use and recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for years. While many younger children have already received these vaccines, the new requirements in Kentucky mean many older children haven’t yet received a second Hepatitis A vaccine. These vaccines are recommended by healthcare professionals and required by the state because they can prevent illnesses that can be serious or even fatal.
Don’t wait to get vaccinated. See the list of Owensboro Health locations below where you can learn more and your children can receive these vaccines!
Owensboro Health Vaccine Locations