Published on March 19, 2020
Patients: Know Before You Go
Before You Leave Your House to seek care or decide to call your Primary Care Provider (PCP), or the the Owensboro Health COVID-19 Hotline (1-877-888-6647)
- The best way to protect yourself from a respiratory illness, including COVID-19, is to wash your hands and keep your hands away from your face.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth and cover your sneeze or cough in your elbow
- Wear a face covering when in public.
- Physical distancing: Maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and others.
What else can you do?
- Take this opportunity to stay home whenever possible. Enjoy time with your loved ones while practicing the CDC’s prevention methods.
- With limited testing supplies and availability here and across the country, we want to ensure testing capabilities are reserved for those at the highest risk.
What should I expect at the testing site? What happens when I arrive?
- You will be given directions to drive to the location and STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE. Our onsite signage will help guide you.
- Some additional questions of verification will be asked.
- You will be tested using a nasal swab sample. You may also be tested for other respiratory illnesses if necessary.
- If you receive a nasal swab for COVID-19, you will be considered presumptive positive and you should stay home and self-quarantine until you receive final results.
How will I receive my results of the test?
- You will provide your personal information and will receive a phone call once your test results are in.
- Additionally, if you are already an Owensboro Health patient, your results will also be added to your Owensboro Health MyChart.
- Please be patient. At this time, it can take up to 5 days to receive test results through commercial lab testing. We are working on testing capabilities within our facilities for the near future, which will be much faster.
What happens after I am tested?
- Once you are tested, you will be asked to self-quarantine until we receive your results and given instructions on how you and your caregivers do that based upon CDC and State Health Department guidance.
- If your symptoms worsen and there is concern that you may require additional medical care you should call our Hotline (877-888-6647). You may need to be admitted to the hospital. However, only a small percentage of people require this.