Published on May 12, 2023
Nominate a Deserving Nurse Nominate A Nurse For A DAISY Award For Ethics
The DAISY Award for Nursing Ethics, developed in collaboration with the American Nurses Association’s Center for Ethics and Human Rights, recognizes nurse leaders and clinical nurses whose leadership, compassion and clinical practice demonstrate the importance of human values and ethics in nursing. Owensboro Health is a DAISY Award Hospital Partner honoring our outstanding nurses with this special award.
Nominees should exemplify these criteria:
- Consistently demonstrates professional and ethical standards as defined in the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses
- Prioritizes ethical awareness and ethical decision-making to address inequities and uphold ethical norms and values
- Substantially contributes to a healthy and ethical practice environment through positive interactions, compassionate action, and leadership
- With courage, promotes initiatives that advance ethical behavior within nursing and/or healthcare
- Is accountable for professional decisions, actions, and consequences
- Exemplifies respect for the inherent dignity and humanity of self and others by maintaining personal health, well-being, and integrity
- Applies evidence (such as research or EBP) to ethical issues to inform decisions, guide priorities, and/or budget allocations
- Protects human welfare and reduces health disparities between those providing and those receiving health care services
About DAISY Awards
The DAISY Award is an international recognition program that honors and celebrates the skillful, compassionate care nurses provide daily. The family of J. Patrick Barnes established the DAISY Foundation after he died from complications of the auto-immune disease ITP in 1999. During his hospitalization, they deeply appreciated the care and compassion shown to Patrick and his entire family. When he died, they felt compelled to say “thank you” to nurses in a very public way.
About Owensboro Health
Owensboro Health is a nonprofit health system with a mission to heal the sick and to improve the health of the communities it serves in Kentucky and Indiana. The system includes Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, nationally recognized for design, architecture and engineering; Owensboro Health Muhlenberg Community Hospital; Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center; the Owensboro Health Medical Group comprised of over 350 providers at more than 30 locations; three outpatient Healthplex facilities, a certified medical fitness facility, the Healthpark; a surgical weight loss center and program, and the Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center.
On average each year, we have more than 19,000 inpatient admissions, deliver 2,000 babies and provide the region’s only Level III NICU. Owensboro Health physicians perform nearly 33,000 surgical procedures, including nearly 150 open-heart surgeries. Our physicians and staff have 90,000 Emergency Department visits and more than 1.25 million outpatient visits annually. Visit our home page for more information.