Grayson County Medical School Scholarship
Owensboro Health Foundation is proud to offer the Grayson County Medical School Scholarship, a total scholarship award up to, but not to exceed, $200,000. The scholarship is offered in partnership with Owensboro Health, Inc. and the Grayson County Healthcare Foundation.
The scholarship is made possible thanks to a generous gift to Owensboro Health Foundation from an anonymous donor. The donor’s desire is to support the advancement of health and wellness as well as access to healthcare care services for residents of Grayson County, Kentucky
The purpose of the scholarship is to support a student from Grayson County, Kentucky with medical school expenses in order for that student to successfully enter into a primary care, family medicine, or internal medicine practice with Owensboro Health, Inc. in Grayson County, Kentucky upon completion of his/her residency requirements.
- College senior at an accredited baccalaureate degree granting institution and accepted to an accredited medical school or currently enrolled full-time in an accredited medical school program;
- Demonstrated personal motivation for excellence in both character and academic achievement;
- Personal integrity, as exemplified by leadership, community involvement, and concern for others;
- Legal resident of Grayson County, Kentucky or completed high school while a legal resident of Grayson County, Kentucky;
- Willing to adhere to all other terms of the scholarship agreement as described in the Terms of the Grayson County Medical School Scholarship Agreement.
In addition to the OHF GCMSS application form, applicants are required to submit the following documents to be considered for the Grayson County Medical School Scholarship.
Application Deadline: April 10, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
1. Grayson County Medical Field-Related Personal Statement
Submit a personal statement into the OHF GCMSS application form. The 750-1000 word personal statement should address the following:
- Describe what sparked your interest in the medical field, your short- and long-term career plans, and why areas included in primary care, family medicine, or internal medicine are of particular interest to you.
- Discuss why you desire to return to Grayson County, Kentucky to establish your practice of medicine, and include your perception of opportunities and challenges you may experience in doing so as well as how you believe you will respond to those opportunities and challenges.
- Comment on the personal characteristics, educational and extracurricular activities that have helped prepare you for or have helped you thrive in medical school.
- Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons that you think will help you succeed in the medical field.
- Indicate why you think you are a good candidate for this scholarship.
2. Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
The two letters of recommendation must be signed and dated. Letters of recommendation must be obtained from both:
- A faculty member or academic advisor from the degree awarding baccalaureate institution on school letterhead; and
- A volunteer or work supervisor, community leader or personal acquaintance. (Volunteer or work supervisor letters must be on the organization’s letterhead. Personal acquaintance letters cannot come from parents or relatives.)
There are three ways to submit the letters of recommendation:
- Obtain the two letters of recommendation from recommenders and upload them to the OHF GCMSS application form.
- Have recommenders submit the letters themselves via email to email@example.com with Grayson County Medical Scholarship and the applicant name in the Subject line.
- Have recommenders submit the letters themselves via USPS by mailing to Owensboro Health Foundation, Attention: Grayson County Medical Scholarship, 2211 Mayfair Avenue, Owensboro, KY, 42301.
3. Unofficial or Official Transcripts of Grades (Submit only PDFs)
Upload PDF versions of unofficial or official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions and medical school institution, if applicable, to the OHF GCMSS application form.
Only mail a hard copy if the school(s) will not issue unofficial or official transcripts directly to students. Hard copy transcripts can be mailed to Owensboro Health Foundation, Attention: Grayson County Medical Scholarship, 2211 Mayfair Avenue, Owensboro, KY, 42301.
In addition to residency, field of medicine, and willingness to practice in Grayson County, Kentucky, applications will be evaluated on the following:
- Academic performance and achievement
- Intellectual, civic, and personal interests
- Demonstrated leadership, personal qualities, and reported character
- Unique life experiences that may contribute to medical career
- Motivation for medicine
- Communication skills