Surgical Specialists Provider John Falcone, MD Initiated Into American College Of Surgeons
Dr. John Falcone, of Owensboro Health Medical Group - Surgical Specialists, was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) at the College's annual Clinical Congress in Chicago on October 4th.
For physicians, being named a Fellow is an important achievement. According to the America College of Surgeons, in order to be considered, each applicant must have accomplished the following:
- Graduated from an approved medical school
- Completed training in one of the 14 surgical specialties recognized by the American College of Surgeons
- Possess certification by an American Surgical specialty board
- Been in practice for at least one year
- Demonstrate ethical fitness and professional proficiency
Approval by three-fourths of the Board of Regents is also required.
Dr. Falcone joined Owensboro Health Medical Group - Surgical Specialists in 2013 after completing his residency in general surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He currently serves as a general surgeon at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital and is the co-director of the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.
“I need to stay up to date on the current nature of surgery, so I spend time reading journal articles and studies that have been done,” Dr. Falcone said. “If I don’t continually improve my knowledge base, I am going to fall behind. I don’t ever want to make antiquated decisions for my patients.”