Published on December 03, 2020
Avoid Injury This Holiday Season
Holidays are a favorite time of the year and Owensboro Health Trauma Services would like to share some simple tips to keep your holidays safe.
- Fireplaces, space heaters, candles and food cooking on stoves or ovens should not be left unattended.
- Keep a clearance of three feet around heat sources – fireplaces, air vents and space heaters.
- Live Christmas trees should be watered daily, as dry pine needles are fire hazards.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is 100% preventable – generators, grills or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices should not be used inside the home or garage.
- When hanging decorations, make sure your step stool or ladder is locked and placed on a level surface.
- Bicycle or skateboarding helmets help prevent the most serious types of head and brain injuries. Don’t forget helmets for the hover boards and ATVs.
Fall prevention for winter weather
- Wear shoes with good traction.
- Dress warm! If you are warm your muscles will stay relaxed. Tense muscles can affect your balance.
- Be careful getting out of your car, plant your foot and steady yourself with the door frame.
- Keep your hands free. Wear gloves so you can keep your hands out of your pockets to help with balance.
- Pay attention and stay aware of the surfaces ahead of you.