Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center Renovation
On Monday, March 4, 2019 a renovation project began at the Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center. This project is expected to last approximately 14 months and will bring a number of improvements to the look, feel and function of the center. Read our news article to learn more about this decision.
This renovation is a demonstration of Owensboro Health’s commitment to heal the sick and to improve the health of the communities we serve. This is so we can continue to offer the national-quality cancer care, right here.
Infusion/Chemotherapy area is temporarily moving
On Monday, October 14, the second phase of our cancer center renovation project will begin. This phase of the project is expected to last approximately five months and will bring a number of improvements to the look, feel and function of the center. These updates include renovated and expanded space for outpatient infusion clinic, updates to first floor areas, including the main lobby and dressing rooms.
For those who are being administered chemotherapy, during this phase of the renovation, from October 14, 2019, forward, you will want to enter the Breckenridge Medical Building. The Breckenridge Medical Plaza is to the North and adjacent to the Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center.
Inside the Breckenridge Medical Building, take the elevator to the second floor. When you exit the elevator on the second floor, turn right and follow the signs with green arrows and the temporary Infusion/Chemotherapy area is approximately 50 yards in front of you, in the newly-remodeled section of the center on the second floor.
Photos from October 1
Photos from July 11
The process will result in significant improvements to the following:
- Dressing rooms.
- Facility equipment, including:
- Replacement of air handlers and electrical systems.
- New generator. (providing backup power requirements)
- New medical equipment. (limited in scope)
- New IT equipment.
- New furniture.
- Outpatient infusion clinic space.
- Owensboro Health Medical Group - Hematology & Oncology will move to a new space from the current space in Breckenridge Medical Building.
- Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center Pharmacy: a specially equipped space where cancer drugs are formulated/mixed.
- Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center Lobby and other waiting rooms will implement changes to their interior design to improve wayfinding and patient comfort.
- Phase 1 demolition: Began March 4
- Second floor, phase 1 (buildout): April 2019
- Phase 2 demolition: November 2019
- Second floor, phase 2 (buildout): Late November 2019
- First floor: As possible during work on second floor
Architectural Renderings of New Spaces
First floor lobby
Second floor Infusion Waiting area
Second-floor Infusion Community area
Second-floor clinic waiting area