Community Wellness & Education at the Owensboro Health Healthpark can help you successfully manage diabetes or make it less likely you’ll develop the condition. Through education and support from caring diabetes professionals, you’ll gain the knowledge and skills you need to live healthier.
See our Support groups page to find the Diabetes support group schedule.
Diabetes Education Services
- Blood Glucose Monitor Instruction
- Certified Insulin Pump Training
- Gestational Diabetes Education
- Individualized Meal Planning
- Pre-Diabetes Education
- Training on Injectable Diabetes Medications
- Self-Care Education Including:
- Increasing Physical Activity
- Managing Blood Glucose
- Preventing Long-Term Complications
- Changing Behavior and Managing Stress
Learn more about our diabetes programs and classes.
InBalance Diabetes Education Program
The InBalance Diabetes Education Program at Owensboro Health includes a team of experts in the field. Our dietitians and nurses who provide diabetes education and support are all Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialists, CDCES.
Ask your healthcare provider for a referral to our program, which is recognized by the American Diabetes Association for meeting the diabetes national standards of care.
Diabetes education is covered by Medicare and most other health insurance plans.
At your appointment, you’ll get opportunities for both individual sessions and group classes with a Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist at the Owensboro Health Healthpark. These sessions will include:
- An education plan tailored to your individual needs
- Guidance setting and achieving your health goals
- Help understanding how the foods you eat affect your blood sugar and planning healthy meals
- Instruction and tips for checking/ monitoring your blood sugar regularly
- Guidance on use of the wide variety of medications that have been prescribed you to help manage your diabetes
- Tips for increasing physical activity to meet your specific lifestyle needs
- Suggestions for problem solving skills that prepare you for unexpected events
- Recommendations on how to best manage and reduce the other health risks that can be associated with diabetes
- Ideas and support for coping with the physical and emotional needs that may accompany your diabetes
- Direction in optimal diabetes self-care
Gestational Diabetes Class
Owensboro Health Healthpark’s InBalance Diabetes Program can help you achieve a healthy pregnancy as you manage gestational diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral to this two-hour class, which covers:
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin use
- Ways to prevent type 2 diabetes
After the class, you may schedule individual follow-up sessions as needed.
Diabetes Support Group
At the Healthpark we offer a monthly support group to help you learn more about managing your diabetes while meeting and gaining the support of others who share your similar condition. These meetings are FREE of charge and are help on the third Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call 270-688-1227.
View our list of scheduled topics.
Inpatient Diabetes Counseling
If you’re admitted to Owensboro Health Regional Hospital for treatment of diabetes-related symptoms, you’ll receive care from a Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist. The educator will:
- Help you and your family understand your condition, especially if you were recently diagnosed with diabetes
- Teach you how to monitor and control your blood glucose level
- Explain when to call your doctor
- Show you how to safely use insulin and other medications
- Develop a meal plan that reflects your tastes
We will then help you make an outpatient for follow-up appointment with an Owensboro Health CDE, so you can continue to get expert guidance on managing your condition after you return home. We’ll also connect you with community resources to make sure you have access to all the support you need.
Manage Your Diabetes More Easily
Through the Daviess County Diabetes Coalition, you can take advantage of community resources and support, including assistance paying for diabetes medications.
You’ll also want to view the Diabetes Education page to learn more about how to take charge of your condition.
On Target Thursday hosts: Melissa Gaither, CDE, MLDE, RDN, LD and Shelby Shelby, RDN, LD
On Target Thursdays
On Target Thursdays is a video series dedicated to providing reliable and practical techniques for managing your diabetes. Tune in on the Healthpark Facebook page every Thursday for recipes, exercise tips, and education on how to prevent the complications of diabetes.