Quick Southwestern Chicken Barley Chili
Download and Print this Chili Recipe Card.
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces (about 1.5 pounds boneless before cooking)
- In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, corn, pepper and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until barley is tender.
Nutritional Information (Amount per 1 cup serving): Calories: 210, Fat: 2g, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 6g, Sodium: 200mg