Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies
For the cookies:
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup shredded carrots
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- dash of cinnamon
Prepare the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl mix together applesauce, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until well combined. Next fold in shredded carrots. Add in flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in oats, coconut, pecans, and raisins.
- Use a small cookie scoop and drop by tablespoonful on prepared baking sheet. Gently flatten with your hand. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Cool cookies for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Prepare the glaze:
- Combine powdered sugar, almond milk and cinnamon in a bowl. Drizzle a tiny bit over cookies, then let dry.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
70 calories, 1.9 g total fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 7.8 mg cholesterol, 59.4 mg sodium, 12.5 g carbohydrates, 1.3 g fiber, 6.1 g sugar, 1.5 g protein