- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound diced chicken breast
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 4 tomatoes (medium), cubed
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste (about 1/2 -1 teaspoon)
- Oregano to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Onion powder to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoon(s) fresh basil preferred (if using dried basil = 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet on medium heat; add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until all sides browned.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, squash, zucchini, onion, garlic and bell pepper to skillet. Season with dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and additional salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until vegetables soften and some are browned.
- Add tomatoes, fresh parsley and fresh basil if using. Cook for additional 3-5 minutes, pressing tomatoes to release their juices.
- Serve with crusty whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta or brown rice/quinoa. Stores well in the refrigerator; flavors further marry in storage.
Nutritional information: (Amount per 1.5 cup serving) Serves: 4, Calories: 270, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Protein: 28g, Carbohydrates: 12g, Fiber: 3.5g