Published on June 25, 2019
- 8 cups pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced (2.5 lbs)
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 3 tbspcanning and pickling salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup fresh dill weed, minced
- 1 tsp dill seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups cider vinegar (5% acetic acid)
- Gently wash cucumbers. Trim 1/16 inch from the blossom end and discard. Thinly slice cucumbers and measure out 8 cups. In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with the salt. Let the cucumbers stand 2 hours, and then drain.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the drained cucumbers, and stir well. Refrigerate the mixture for 8-10 hours.
- Pack the cucumber slices and pickling solution in freezer bags or rigid containers, leaving 1 inch headspace. Label and date packages, and freeze at 0 F or colder for up to 6 months.
- Thaw pickles for about 8 hours in the refrigerator, and serve chilled. Thawed pickles must be kept refrigerated; use within 2 weeks.
Yields: 4 pints. Per ¼ cup serving: 31 calories