Light and Easy Coleslaw
For the slaw:
- Small head of cabbage shredded (about 1 lb or 6 cups)
- Choose purple cabbage for a colorful twist
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- ½ cup scallions or red onion finely diced
- Optional for crunch:
- ½ cup toasted almonds sliced or chopped
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Optional for spicy-fresh flare:
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- ¼- ¾ cup finely chopped cilantro
(Can substitute slaw mix in a pinch)
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt or salt to taste
- Dash of pepper
- Optional for spice:
- Up to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all slaw ingredients, except for nuts/seeds, in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing onto slaw mix and toss well until fully combined.
- Place in fridge for at least 1 hr to allow flavors to combine.
- Prior to serving, add nuts/seeds as desired and toss.
- Serve as a side, on tacos, with pulled pork or chicken, or even on sandwiches.
Serves 16. Serving size about 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts (without optional ingredients): 38 calories, 1.5 g total fat, 89 mg sodium, 99 mg potassium, 6 g total carbohydrate, 1 g fiber