Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni (or any other kind of pasta)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3/4 cup reserved pasta water
- 3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9x13 dish with baking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the macaroni noodles and cook until tender but still a bit firm. Reserve ¾ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta in colander and set aside. Toss with a little olive oil to keep from sticking.
- Place the sweet potato flesh, milk, pasta water, yogurt and salt into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the milk mixture into the same pot that pasta was cooked in. Stir frequently over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is almost simmering. Turn to low and slowly whisk in the cheese a little bit at a time. Stir until mostly melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, olive oil and oregano in a small bowl. Sprinkle over top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.
Nutritional information: (Amount per cup serving) Serves: 12, Calories: 254, Fat: 8g, Saturated fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 18mg, Sodium: 231mg, Carbohydrates: 34g, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 12g, Potassium: 263mg