As you manage a heart condition or recover after cardiac surgery, count on Owensboro Health rehabilitation professionals to help you gain strength and improve your health.
Do I Need Heart Rehabilitation?
Heart, or cardiac, rehabilitation benefits you following a condition or procedure such as:
- Angina (chest pain)
- Heart Attack
- Heart Failure
- Angioplasty and Stenting
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG)
- Heart Transplant
- Valve Surgery
Building A Healthy Lifestyle
Your heart rehabilitation program includes:
- A personalized exercise plan
- Education about coping with your heart condition, reducing stress and developing healthy habits
- Nutrition counseling to help you create a heart-healthy diet and manage your weight
When you commit to your cardiac rehabilitation program, you may:
- Live Longer
- Reduce your risk of a heart attack
- Control symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse damage to blood vessels in your heart
- Improve your stamina and energy level, so you can perform daily activities more easily
What Cardiac Rehab Involves
Your doctor will refer you to Owensboro Health’s Heart Rehabilitation program. If you stayed in the hospital for heart care, your program will begin a few weeks after you return home.
You’ll work in a group setting with a rehabilitation team that includes doctors, health educators, clinical exercise physiologists, dietitians, and nurses. Team members meet you and other patients on the 4th floor [view map] of Urgent Care Ford three times a week for up to 36 sessions, depending on your needs.
You’ll exercise under the supervision of professionals who monitor your heart rhythm, heart rate and blood pressure and track your progress. They also teach you how to monitor your heart rate so you can exercise safely on your own.
After completing cardiac rehabilitation, you’ll get help developing a long-term exercise routine that keeps you as healthy as possible. As you continue to care for the health of your heart, we encourage you to workout at Owensboro Health Healthpark, our medical fitness center. There, you’ll benefit from certified fitness professionals who can answer your questions and help you stay safe.
For more information about Heart Rehabilitation call 270-688-5155.