Grief Support & Suicide Prevention
As you grieve a loss or experience depression, seek guidance from Owensboro Health’s chaplains and pastoral care specialists. Through counseling, support groups and community resources, we’ll help you get encouragement and reassurance.
Support For Grieving Parents
If you’re a parent who’s lost a child of any age, join the Compassionate Friends Support Group. Members meet the fourth Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Healthpark chapel conference room. Call Caroline Elder at 270-222-2004 for details.
Grief Mailing Series
If you experience a loss at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, the Pastoral Care department will follow up with you by sending you Hope Through Healing. This series of special mailings delivered to your home will help you understand the stages of grief you’ll experience.
Community Bereavement Resources
Contact any of the following organizations for information about their grief programs and support groups:
- Glenn Funeral Home, Owensboro, 270-683-1505, (free bereavement counseling with Betty Medley)
- Good Grief Group, members meet the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at Haley McGinnis Funeral Home. Call Dr. Jonathan Carroll at 270-684-9891 for details.
- Hospice of Western Kentucky, 270-926-7565, (free bereavement counseling)
- St. Anthony's Hospice, Henderson, 270-826-2326
- Wesleyan Heights United Methodist Church, Owensboro, 270-684-5573
- GriefShare, visit the GriefShare website to find a support group near you
If you or someone you know may be at risk of suicide, call one of these hotlines:
- 24-hour Crisis HotLine at 800-433-7291
- Local Owensboro-area crisis line at 270-684-9466
Support For Suicide Survivors
After a loved one’s suicide, find support and understanding through:
To learn more about how to cope, read:
- Healing After the Suicide of a Loved One by Ann Smolin and John Guinan, New York, Simon & Schuster, 1993
- No Time to Say Goodbye: Surviving the Suicide of a Loved One by Carla Fine, New York, Doubleday, 1997.
- After Suicide by John H. Hewitt, Philadelphia-Westminster 1980