Volunteers at Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center
Volunteer at Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center uphold a long and valued tradition of service to our patients, visitors and employees. The Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary members are a valuable part of the healthcare team at OHTLMC, representing an important link between our hospital and community.
The Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary exists to support Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center in meeting the health care needs of the people it serves in the most caring, compassionate, and effective manner possible.
The purpose of the Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary is to render service to Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center, its patients and staff, and to assist the Hospital in promoting the health and welfare of the community in accordance with objectives established by the Hospital.
- To serve the Hospital, our patients and the community as a whole as "Ambassadors of Good Will"
- To help promote a positive image of the hospital within the community
- To support the emotional well-being of the patients utilizing the hospital's services
- To provide a friendly, caring and helpful atmosphere for patients and their families, and the Hospital staff Duties
The Auxiliary's primary duty within the hospital is staffing the Information Desk in the main lobby from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Friday. Routine duties include: providing general hospital information and directions to patients and the public; providing escorts when needed; and delivering flowers to patients.
The Volunteers operate the OHTLMC Gift Shop. Proceeds from the Gift Shop are used by the Volunteers to provide scholarships and to purchase equipment for the hospital. The Volunteers who work at the Gift Shop give their input in selecting what is sold in the shop as well as doing the work necessary to run a successful gift shop.
For several years, young patients at OHTLMC have been given a special friend to help make their visit to the hospital a little less scary. Members of the Auxiliary hand make sock monkeys and other stuffed animals for children coming to the hospital. The animals are given to the young patients and their families at no charge. The volunteers raise the money needed to purchase any supplies or donate materials in addition to their time and talents. The sock monkey program has been honored by the Kentucky Hospital Association.
- Complementary meal the day they work
- Free flu shot annually
- Annual Volunteer Week and Christmas celebrations
Interested in joining?
There is a four-step process to becoming a volunteer at Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center:
- Complete an application and return to the Volunteer Coordinators.
or apply online.
- Return the application and schedule an interview with the Volunteer Coordinators and the President of the Auxiliary
- Attend a two day hospital orientation program
- Complete a required background check and tuberculosis skin test (free of charge)
Volunteer application forms can be picked up at the Information Desk in the front lobby Monday - Friday. Contact Patty Bratcher at 270-259-9512 if you would like more information.
The Auxiliary has donated thousands of dollars in equipment to the hospital through the years. To fund these special projects, its members hold bake sales, have semi-annual book and gift sales, sell gently used books and hold other fundraising projects.
The generosity of the Auxiliary has resulted in the purchase of equipment throughout the hospital such as these examples below:
- Blanket warmers for chemotherapy patients and the Infusion Center
- Oversize wheelchairs for numerous departments throughout the hospital
- CPR mannequin for the education department
- Snowplow for hospital use
- Bathroom shelving for patient rooms
- Patient education TV/VCR for nursing
- Patient televisions in the Critical Care Unit
- Patient recliner for the Critical Care Unit
- Recliners for chemotherapy patients
- TVs for patient holding rooms in Surgery and for Emergency Department exam rooms
- Baby scale for Surgery
- Recliners for patient rooms
- TV/VCR/DVD for chemotherapy clinic
- High chairs for pediatric patients
- Salad bar for the cafeteria
- Cots for family members staying with patients
- Trauma verification computer software for Emergency Department
- Assisted in purchasing newborn hearing screening equipment for obstetrics
Our thanks to the Auxiliary members for their support, interest and enthusiasm, and for the vital role they play each day in our hospital and community.
Executive Assistant/Director of Volunteers
910 Wallace Ave.
Leitchfield, KY 42754