Classes & Support
At Owensboro Health's Prenatal Education Center, we believe that knowledge is the foundation for a healthy pregnancy and a rewarding childbirth experience. Our classes are designed to be fun and interactive, and to give you the skills you need for every stage of pregnancy.
Suggested Sequence of Classes
We recently expanded our menu to provide important information earlier in your pregnancy. We recommend the following sequence for both a healthy pregnancy and a rewarding childbirth experience.
1. Welcome to Pregnancy Open House (at 4-18 Weeks)
This class is your introduction to all things pregnancy and is the first class you should take! It is designed for pre-pregnancy through five months, but is ideally taken around three (3) months.
In this class you will:
- Discuss prenatal education class offerings and how to register
- Learn about related classes offered at the Owensboro Health HealthPark
- Get information about topics such as nutrition, prenatal testing, and the dos and don'ts of pregnancy
This free, one-hour class is offered once a month. Schedule right after your first OB-Gyn appointment; you'll want this class early
in your pregnancy.
Register now for Welcome to Pregnancy!
2. Nutrition and Exercise Class (at 4-18 Weeks)
Healthpark experts will show you how to have a healthy pregnancy for both you and baby. It should be taken at about four (4) months into your pregnancy.
This class includes:
- Safe, low-impact exercises perfect for the expectant mom
- Healthy eating for the pregnant mom
- Tips on food preparation and healthy weight gain
- Discussion of other community resources available during and after pregnancy
This free, one-hour class is offered once a month.
Register now for Nutrition and Fitness!
3. Prepared Childbirth Series (at 28-36 Weeks)
Wow, the big day is in sight, and this is the traditional childbirth series that gets you ready! You should plan to take this series about seven (7) months into your pregnancy.
Topics to be covered include:
- Review breathing techniques
- Labor pain & pain theories
- Comfort measures & labor positions
- Medical interventions during labor
- Pain relief medications and anesthesia
- Postpartum physical & lifestyle changes
- Tour of New Life Birthing Center & policies
- Labor rehearsal review exercise
- Common discomforts of 2nd & 3rd trimesters
- Common anatomy of pregnancy
- Fetal growth and development during 2nd & 3rd trimesters
- The warning signs of preterm labor and when to call the doctor
- Introduction to breathing & relaxation exercises
We have several different options of this series to fit individual needs. the evening series will meet four 2 1/2 hour classes. You may choose to attend either the Tuesday or the Wednesday series. There is also an option every other month Saturday morning series that meets twice for 4 1/2 hour classes.
Register for the Tuesday Series!
Register for the Wednesday Series!
Register for the Express Saturday Series!
If you were preparing for birth with an epidural and don't have as much time, our Express series that meets 2 hours for three classes may be the best choice for you.
Register for the Express Series!
Preregistration is required for all classes and should be completed after your first OB visit if possible. Browse our online listings or call 270-688-5099 for assistance.
Course Sequence Guide
This chart offers a timeline to help you plan your class schedule according to your due date. While this table isn't set in stone, staying close to it will help you get the most out of your pregnancy.
Welcome to Pregnancy
Nutrition and Fitness
A Learning Experience for the Whole Family
At the Owensboro Health Prenatal Education Center, we offer programs for first-time parents, refresher courses for those who just need to brush up, and classes to help you care for your baby. If you plan to breastfeed, our lactation experts can pave the way for a successful experience. We even offer a special class for young children who are expecting a new sibling.
If you’ve given birth before but want a review of labor, breathing and relaxation exercises, pain management, birth options and hospital procedures, this three-hour class is just for you.
This course includes Breastfeeding Your Baby, Baby Care and Safety and Tour for Expectant Parents.
Register for Refresher Childbirth
Tour for Expectant Parents
Join us for a sneak peek of Maternity Services at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital.
This tour is offered as a part of Prenatal Education program. Due to security and space, separate registration is required for each person attending the tour.
- NO walk-in tours will be given.
- All tours leave promptly at scheduled time from entrance to Maternity Services. Click here for directions.
- If you miss the start time, you will need to reschedule for another available time.
Call 270-688-5099 for more information or register online.
ADULT TOURS - Guided tour for pregnant mother and one guest through Maternity Services department at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, including Obstetrical Emergency Department (OBED), Labor and Delivery, Mother/Baby & recovery areas and the Nursery viewing areas. Register here.
SIBLING TOURS - Second part of the sibling class, designed with kids in mind. Guided tour for pregnant mother and family through Maternity Services department at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, including Labor & Delivery, Mother/Baby units. Encouraged to wear t-shirts provided in sibling class. Ideal tour for families who want to tour the hospital with children of any age- sibling class attendance is not necessary to tour. Register here.
Breastfeeding Your Baby
This class will prepare you for a successful breastfeeding experience. We’ll discuss the many health and nutritional benefits of breastfeeding, and offer helpful hints to address your most common concerns.
Partners are encouraged to attend to learn how important they are in supporting you in this important decision to breastfeed your baby.
After your baby is born, our certified lactation consultants will be happy to help you while you’re at Owensboro Health Maternity Services. Our experienced professionals are available on an outpatient basis as well if you need support after baby goes home.
Register for the Breastfeeding Your Baby class
Learn more about Lactation Services at Owensboro Health
Baby Care and Safety
This comprehensive class is designed to educate and assist new moms and their partners with essential elements of newborn care:
- When to call the doctor
- Car seat safety
- Safety at home room-by-room (using learning stations to test your knowledge)
- Bath demonstration, circumcision care and general newborn care, at the hospital and at home
- How to calm your baby using the “Five S’s” and how to mimic the environment your baby is used to
- A question-and-answer session with a local pediatrician
Register for the Baby Care and Safety class
This special class is for children ages 3 to 10 years old who are expecting a new sibling. Children should bring a doll or stuffed animal, and parents must accompany their child (or children) during the class and tour.
Highlights include a video to help new brothers and sisters understand their feelings.
Register for the Sibling Class
Classes are fun, interactive and expertly taught by top-notch instructors. Many classmates form unique bonds and often reunite to show off those new babies!
All Prenatal Classes are FREE
Skin-to-skin, or Kangaroo Care, is great for babies and parents too, doctors say!
Owensboro Health is committed to a healthy community, and we want to reach as many parents as possible with valuable prenatal education. That’s why all our childbirth classes are FREE, to eliminate barriers and to see as many healthy deliveries as possible.
Convenient Location and Free Parking
All classes are conveniently located in the Prenatal Education Center at the Ford Medical Office Building, next to the Owensboro Health HealthPark.
Contact us at 270-688-5099 or send us an email with your questions or comments.