How To Get Started
Are you interested in learning more about surgical weight loss?
We encourage you to attend one of our free seminars that are presented once a month at Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, or at seminars that are specially scheduled at our outlying Healthplex facilities in Henderson, Madisonville and Muhlenberg County. Attending a seminar is required as part of our program. If you are unable to attend one of our live bariatric surgery seminars, you can watch the seminar online by clicking this link: www.OwensboroHealth.org/BariatricSeminar. These seminars are led by Dr. Alapati and last between 30 and 60 minutes.
In addition to the information you’ll learn at these seminars, you’ll also have a chance to meet Dr. Alapati, our surgical weight loss program team, and to ask questions about the process and how you can get the best results along the way. Our goal is to help give you every advantage as you embark on this journey to wellness, which will take lifelong commitment, but bring you immense benefits. For patients who commit to success, the result is a longer, healthier and happier life.
Topics covered at the seminars include:
- What is obesity and how does it affect the lives of those who have it and those around them?
- Obesity’s causes and the numerous negative health effects
- Obesity trends in the United States
- The financial costs of obesity
- Weight loss surgeries performed at Owensboro Health by Dr. Alapati
- The procedures available:
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Benefits and risks of each type of procedure
- Things to consider when choosing which surgery to undergo
- How insurance coverage works and how many insurance plans cover surgical weight loss procedures for qualifying patients
- Our team and how it uses a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to bariatric surgery
- Our surgeon: Ravi Alapati, MD, FACS
- Our expert staff
- Bariatric services nursing director: Janet Carlo, RN, BSN, CBN
- Practice administrator: April Lambert
- Registered Nurse: Gay Cook, RN
- Dietitian: Beth Cecil, LD, RD
- Insurance coordinator: Ginger Newkirk
The Importance Of Primary Care
We encourage all surgical weight loss patients to have a primary care physician. This will give you a provider who can help you with related health issues and concerns that are connected to obesity, but are separate from weight loss surgery. To schedule an appointment with an Owensboro Health primary care provider, call 844-446-9663. To learn more about the surgical weight loss program or to attend a seminar, call 270-417-3030.
If you have further questions or would like to register for a seminar by phone, call 270-417-3030.