How to Get Started With Surgical Weight Loss
Take the first step
Watch the online seminar and answer a few questions or call 270-688-1500 to register for a free, in-person seminar.
Are you interested in learning more about surgical weight loss?
We encourage you to attend one of our free, monthly seminars at the Owensboro Health Health Park, or you can watch the seminar online here. These seminars are led by Dr. Alapati and last between 30 and 60 minutes. The seminar is the first step in our program.
In addition to the information you’ll learn at these seminars, you’ll also have a chance to meet Dr. Alapati and our surgical weight loss program team. You will have a chance to ask questions about the process and how you can get the best results along the way. Our goal is to help give you every advantage as you embark on this journey to wellness, which will take lifelong commitment, but bring you immense benefits. For patients who commit to success, the result is a longer, healthier and happier life.
Childcare during office visits or live seminars
Childcare is available at the Owensboro Health Healthpark next door.
If you are in need of childcare during your appointment, the Owensboro Health Healthpark Playpark is available to all Owensboro Health Surgical Weight Loss Center patients. Day passes (Up to 2 hours) are $3.50 per child. Registration is required. For more information and to register, please call 270-688-4775.
View all upcoming dates for live Weight Loss Surgery Seminars.
Topics covered at the seminars include:
- What is obesity and how does it affect the lives of those who have it and those around them?
- Obesity’s causes and the numerous negative health effects
- Obesity trends in the United States
- The financial costs of obesity
- Weight loss surgeries performed at Owensboro Health by Dr. Alapati
- The procedures available:
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Benefits and risks of each type of procedure
- Things to consider when choosing which surgery to undergo
- How insurance coverage works and how many insurance plans cover surgical weight loss procedures for qualifying patients
- Our team and how it uses a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to bariatric surgery
- Our surgeon: Ravi Alapati, MD, FACS
- Our expert staff
- Bariatric services nursing director: Janet Carlo, RN, BSN, CBN
- Practice administrator: April Lambert
- Registered Nurse: Gay Cook, RN
- Dietitian: Beth Cecil, LD, RD
- Insurance coordinator: Ginger Newkirk
The Importance Of Primary Care
We encourage all surgical weight loss patients to have a primary care physician. This will give you a provider who can help you with related health issues and concerns that are connected to obesity, but are separate from weight loss surgery. To learn more about the surgical weight loss program or to attend a seminar, call 270-688-1500.
The insurance process to obtain authorization for bariatric surgery is very detailed. Most insurance carriers require the same information but there are some variations between insurance carriers and policies. Some of the information items requested are likely to include:
- Physician supervised weight loss trial (most plans require six months)
- Two to three year history of obesity (a copy of one office visit from the past two to three years documenting height and weight)
- Requirement to have stopped smoking within two to six month prior to surgery
- Specific laboratory studies (such as a thyroid level and possibly a nicotine level if you are a smoker or former smoker)
- Nutrition clearance from the Registered dietitian
- Psychological clearance
The Program Fee
All patients are charged a nonrefundable $200 bariatric program fee. This fee is due at the time of your first visit office visit and covers administrative items such as:
- The seminar booklet
- The program manual given at the first office visit
- Support group materials
- The pre-surgery teaching class conducted by a Registered Nurse
These items cannot be billed to your insurance company but are mandatory resources for your success in the program.