Medical Laboratory Science Program
As a participant in the Medical Laboratory Science Program at Owensboro Health, you will work side-by-side with talented and dedicated research professionals. Get ready for serious lab coat time in one of the state's only hospital-based programs.
- Over a million tests performed in our laboratory each year
- A faculty that includes board-certified pathologists
- Limited class size for personalized attention
- 12-month program
- A brand-new, state-of-the-art hospital
Certified by the National Accrediting Agency For Clinical Laboratory Sciences, the Owensboro Health Medical Laboratory Science Program could be the perfect place to finish your degree and launch your career. Consider some of our program's most recent results:
- Graduation Rate - 100% over the past three years
- First Time Pass Rate - 92% over the past three years
- Attrition Rate - 0% over the past three years
- Placement Rate - 100% over the past three years
Download The Application
More About The MLS Program
- The program is conducted in the hospital laboratory.
- The program accepts up to four students per year.
- The Program Director and all clinical instructors are certified by a national certifying agency.
About Owensboro Health
Owensboro Health is a licensed 477-bed full-service facility. It maintains accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, as well as the American Association of Blood Banks. The laboratory at Owensboro Health is equipped with excellent teaching facilities.
The Clinical Year
About The Clinical Year
- 12 consecutive months
- 2 weeks vacation, 7 holidays.
- Runs mid -July to late June of the following year
- Student's expected present Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Class Time & Clinical Rotation
The first six weeks are spent in lecture all day, in order to give the student the necessary theory to apply in the clinical rotations. After the first six weeks, students spend mornings in the clinical rotation and afternoons in lectures.
All clinical rotations and lectures are taught by either a certified medical technologist or pathologist.
Completion of the Clinical Year
Upon completion of the clinical year, students graduate with a certificate, and are awarded credit hours and a Bachelor’s degree by the college or university, where applicable.
Expenses & Fees
- Tuition = $1500.00 per year
- Textbooks = approximately $800.00
- Uniforms and a lab coat are required
- Students must supply proof of health and liability insurance prior to the start of the program.
No stipends are offered. Should a student not complete the clinical year, tuition will be refunded on a prorated basis.
Our program is affiliated with Brescia University, Campbellsville University, Kentucky Wesleyan College, Southeast Missouri State University, Western Kentucky University, and University of Southern Indiana. Students who have a Bachelor’s degree may also apply, but preference is given to students from our affiliated colleges.
Minimum admission requirements are 90 semester hours of college credit including:
- Chemistry: A minimum of 16 semester hours. Organic chemistry must be included. Quantitative Analysis is recommended.
- Biological Sciences: A minimum of 16 semester hours. Microbiology is required. Immunology, Genetics and Anatomy & Physiology are strongly recommended.
- Mathematics: One course in mathematics is required. A course in Probabilities & Statistics is recommended.
Application And Interview Process
Download An Application.
When To Apply
- Apply upon completion of all coursework.
- Application deadline is December 15.
- Contact the Program Director, Carrie Wimsatt for an application or more information. Email Carrie Wimsatt or call 270-417-6521.
- Write to:
Medical Laboratory Science Program
PO Box 20007
Owensboro, Kentucky 42304-0007
The Interview Process
Upon receipt of a completed application, a transcript, and reference letters, all qualified applicants will be called for a personal interview, which is required.