If you have a chronic respiratory condition or receive lung surgery, Owensboro Health’s pulmonary rehabilitation program can help make breathing easier and energize you. Through exercise, education and medical care, you’ll gain the ability to live more independently.
Do I Need Rehabilitation?
You may benefit from rehabilitation for your lungs if you have a condition such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), including Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary Rehabilitation can also help you improve your health before or after Lung Cancer Surgery, Lung Volume Reduction Surgery, Lung Transplant or another procedure.
Helping You Stay Well
Your pulmonary rehabilitation program includes:
- An exercise plan developed just for you
- Nutrition counseling to help you follow a healthy diet
- Education on using oxygen therapy most effectively
- Breathing retraining exercises and strategies for managing breathing problems
Goals Of Rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation is designed to:
- Minimize flare-ups and other symptoms
- Improve your sense of control over your condition
- Teach you when to call the doctor to prevent symptoms from progressing
- Reduce the frequency of unscheduled doctor visits or hospitalizations
- Increase your strength and stamina
- Enhance your quality of life
What Pulmonary Rehab Involves
Your doctor will refer you to Owensboro Health’s pulmonary rehabilitation program. If you stayed in the hospital for respiratory care, your program would begin a few weeks after you return home.
You’ll work in a group setting with a rehabilitation team that includes doctors, health educators, clinical exercise physiologists,
You’ll exercise at your pace with guidance and encouragement from professionals who monitor your vital signs, oxygen levels - and track your progress. Team members also teach you how to exercise and how to perform other desired daily activities safely on your own.
After finishing pulmonary rehabilitation, you’ll find help creating a long-term exercise routine and habits that keep you as healthy as possible. We encourage you to maintain your level of stamina you achieved at pulmonary rehab by continuing your exercise program at Owensboro Health's Healthpark, our medical fitness center. There, you’ll benefit from certified fitness professionals who can answer your questions and help you stay safe.