Coal Miners' Respiratory Clinic
The Coal Miners' Respiratory Clinic in Greenville, KY, has been in operation since 1975 as a department of Owensboro Health Muhlenberg Community Hospital. The clinic strives to minimize the effects of pulmonary impairment not only in coal miners but also in other individuals with pulmonary disease.
Respiratory Clinic Services
- Anatomy and Physiology as it relates to the participants' disease
- Arterial blood gas analysis (resting and with exercise)
- Benefits counseling
- Bronchial hygiene and breathing techniques
- Chest X-ray with B-Read interpretation
- Complete pulmonary function testing including lung volume measurements and diffusion capacity.
- Diagnostic cardiology exam
- Diagnostic testing for the Department of Labor and Department of Human Resources
- Energy conservation, time management, and work simplification strategies
- History and physical examination
- Home oxygen therapies
- Medication management
- Oximetry evaluations
- Pulmonary disease and sexual activities
- Pulmonary equipment maintenance
- Rehabilitation (see Pulmonary Rehabilitation) and treatment
- Relaxation and Stress management.
- Routine blood studies
- Smoking cessation
- Sputum cytology
- TB skin testing
- Urine collection site for drug screening
Department Contact Information
- Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Flexible to meet the needs of participants
- Phone: 270-338-8300
- Federal Black Lung testing site
- Kentucky Department of Workers' Claims testing site
This website is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $5,248,900.00 with 0% financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.