Lifestyle medicine is the prevention, treatment, and often reversal, of diseases caused by lifestyle factors. Our lifestyle medicine doctors focus on educating and motivating patients to improve personal habits and behaviors, such as:
- Healthful eating habits
- Increased physical activity
- Effective stress management
- Supportive social connections
- Adequate sleep
- Avoiding risky substance abuse
Because they focus on treating the underlying, behavior-related causes of disease, lifestyle providers would likely use medications as a supplement to therapeutic lifestyle changes.
This approach educates, guides and supports positive behavior changes that allow the body to protect and heal itself. Patients are encouraged to be active participants in their own care.
Who would benefit from Lifestyle medicine?
Anyone, age 12 and older, who would like to:
- Improve their level of physical fitness
- Develop an active lifestyle
- Manage their weight
- Recover from injuries from sports or being active
- Improve their recovery from serious illness (such as diabetes, pre-diabetes, heart disease, strokes or cancer) with exercise and good nutrition