Owensboro Health Muhlenberg Community Hospital's surgical services include inpatient surgery located in the hospital in Greenville, KY, as well as an outpatient surgical service at the Muhlenberg Surgical Center, 1008 Medical Center Drive in Powderly, KY.
Prior to surgery, a detailed medical history is obtained. We will also discuss your medications that you are currently taking and which ones you will need to take the morning of your surgery or procedure. It is very helpful if you make a list of the medications you are taking, how much you take, and how often you take them.
If you are unable to make a list, please bring your medications with you to your pre-operative interview or have them available during the phone interview. Arrangements will be made for lab tests, x-rays or other studies requested by your physician.
Your physician will discuss in detail with you the procedure prior to the surgery.
Anesthesia For Surgical Procedures
The anesthesia department staffs highly trained certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) and a physician trained in anesthesia. The department offers a variety of services, including:
- Axillary blocks
- Bier blocks
- General anesthesia (put to sleep)
- Additional types of anesthesia for all age groups
How To Prepare For Surgery
- Don't eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight the night before your surgery unless directed otherwise
- Don't smoke for 12 hours before or after surgery
- Don't bring jewelry or other valuables with you to the hospital. If valuables are brought, they can be locked up in the Admitting Office upon arrival.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweats or shorts
- Arrange to have someone drive you home after you are discharged
- Follow any specific directions that your doctor may have given you
- Notify the surgeon of any change in your physical condition, such as a cold, sore throat, chills, fever, vomiting, etc.