When you need a surgical treatment or testing, get top-quality care from Owensboro Health Medical Group - Surgical Specialists, formerly Ohio Valley Surgical Specialists. You’ll find services for a broad range of medical needs because we’re the largest practice of our kind in western Kentucky. Trust us to help you enjoy better health.
You benefit from the expertise of board-certified, award-winning Owensboro Health surgeons who are leaders in their fields, teach surgical procedures to other doctors and speak at national conferences. And because Surgical Specialists includes providers in a wide range of disciplines, your physician can easily consult with a variety of medical experts to make sure you get well-rounded care.
Through Surgical Specialists, you gain access to a broad spectrum of treatments and diagnostic procedures, including:
- Bile duct surgery
- Breast disease
- Chest (thoracic) surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Endoscopies, including colonoscopy and EGD (upper endoscopy)
- Gallbladder surgery or removal (cholecystectomy)
- Head and neck surgery
- Hernia repair
- In-office non-surgical treatment of hemorrhoids
- Liver surgery or tumor removal (liver resection)
- Lumpectomy with 3D BioZorb tissue marker (to directly target radiation after surgery)
- Micro-invasive laser
- Surgical oncology / Oncoplastic surgery
- Breast cancer (restores the breast’s appearance right after removing the tumor)
- Head and neck
- Pancreatic surgery (available from only a few providers in Kentucky, including Owensboro Health)
- Skin grafts and other surgical treatment of wounds & burns
- Skin lesions and cancer
- Vein treatment
- Varicose & spider vein treatment
- Vascular screenings
- Vascular surgery
- Minimally invasive
Minimally Invasive Approach
Whenever possible, your surgeon will perform your procedure using a minimally invasive technique. This approach requires only tiny incisions and thus decreases pain, scarring and recovery time.
If you need treatment for your pancreas, bile duct, gallbladder or liver, a doctor may perform your procedure using a minimally invasive technique called interventional endoscopy. In this approach, the physician inserts an endoscope—a small tube with a video lens—through your mouth and into your digestive tract while you’re under sedation. He or she then slides tiny surgical tools through the tube to perform your treatment. You’ll recover faster after this type of procedure than after traditional surgery.
You won’t find this treatment option at many other locations in Kentucky. Owensboro Health is home to one of only a handful of doctors in the state who perform interventional endoscopies.