Published on April 25, 2022
Quarterly Healthpark Newsletter
of the quarterly newsletter for details and announcements related to our many programs and services.
It’s a great time to consider a walking program. Did you know that walking is a fitness activity that anyone can do anywhere regardless of fitness level? According to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), walking can boost your physical activity level and benefit overall health. Here are some things recommended by ACSM to begin a walking program:
- Get a pair of well-fitting, supportive shoes and comfortable clothes.
- Choose a well-lit area with pathways conducive to walking. Neighborhoods with sidewalks or local parks are always a good choice.
- Schedule a time each day to walk. Work up to 30 minutes per day or 150 minutes per week. If you have a hard time setting aside 30 minutes, try shorter times to equal 30 minutes throughout the day.
- Wear a pedometer or device to track your steps.
- Invite a friend or family member to join you on your walk. Having someone as a partner can provide social time with the exercise.
- Always consult your physician before beginning any exercise program, especially if you have risk factors or have been inactive
More tips and information are available at www.acsm.org or speak with one of our Healthpark experts. One of our fitness coaches is available to talk with you. Consider some of the programs mentioned in this newsletter edition to help you “spring” forward into better health. We are here to support and partner with you.
Director of the Healthpark
About Owensboro Health
Owensboro Health is a nonprofit health system with a mission to heal the sick and to improve the health of the communities it serves in Kentucky and Indiana. The system includes Owensboro Health Regional Hospital, nationally recognized for design, architecture and engineering; Owensboro Health Muhlenberg Community Hospital; Owensboro Health Twin Lakes Medical Center; the Owensboro Health Medical Group comprised of over 200 providers at more than 20 locations; three outpatient Healthplex facilities, a certified medical fitness facility, the Healthpark; a surgical weight loss center and program, and the Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center.
On average each year, we have 16,000 inpatient admissions, deliver 2,000 babies and provide the region’s only Level III NICU. Owensboro Health physicians perform nearly 24,000 surgical procedures, including nearly 200 open-heart surgeries. Our physicians and staff have 70,000 Emergency Department visits, more than a million outpatient visits annually. Visit our home page for more information.